Monday, January 9, 2017

My Focus for 2017


I haven't made "resolutions" in years and I can't actually remember the last time I actually made one, let alone stuck to it.  I think my resolution for 2015 was something like 'give birth to two healthy babies, stay alive, and keep my kids alive'.  Whew, did it. When we rang in 2016 I pondered what I wanted to achieve and where I wanted to focus, but in all honesty I was so tired I simply told myself, "survive".  I was returning to work a few hours a week right around the new year, we were deep in the terrible twos and all I really wanted to do was to keep my family moving forward.  And we did...three cheers for setting the bar low.   

Now that my head is above water for the first time in a long time, I want to focus on holding myself a little more accountable.  In 2016 I began working out again, just with DVD's at home.  Although I really didn't focus on specific weight loss or fitness goals since I was still breastfeeding for the first half of 2016, I  wanted to get back into the habit of simply moving every day.  I wanted to get in the habit of setting aside a small chunk of time in the day for me, which has really set the foundation for regaining some strength and reigniting my dedication to getting it together in the fitness arena.

So all that to say, instead of resolving to reach certain goals, I've spent some time reflecting on where I want to focus some of my time and energy in 2017.  Here's what I've come up with...

READ.  If i'm getting crazy I'd like to commit to reading two books (for pleasure/not parenting related) in 2017.  My pre-kids self was a voracious reader and it was one of my favorite hobbies.  Now?  Ain't nobody got time, or brainpower, for that.  But I think I can maybe manage two books in 12 months.  Time will tell.

COOK. We really don't eat out often because, um....does taking three toddler to a restaurant sound fun to anyone?  No.  I cook several times a week and I try to meal plan consistently simply because it makes my life easier.  But I'm so bored with just about everything in my rotation so I would like to focus on adding in a few new recipes to the weekly menu.  And something my kids will actually eat is a big bonus.

FITNESS.  I would be quite thrilled if this is the year I hit my goal weight...for good.  I'm closer to it than I've been in quite awhile so theoretically it is certainly feasible.  This the first year in about five years there are no fertility, pregnancy, or breastfeeding considerations so I'm eager to put the focus back on me...and not the version of my body that exists solely to conceive/grow/birth/feed little humans (although that time, while it lasted, was lovely).  I need to dig a little deeper to delineate a clear plan to address my eating and workouts but this is the main focus I'm really excited about.

MARRIAGE.  Although we are already pretty good about this, I want to commit to getting out for at least one date a month with Tom.  We are supremely lucky in that all four grandparents live 15 minutes away and are always willing to jump in and provide us with some baby free time.  And our kids adore all of them so it really is an ideal situation.  Even an afternoon date on a Sunday counts so I just want to be sure we continue this tradition.  Because guess what?  We have a lot of fun together without our kids and I want it to stay that way.



TRAVEL.  Now there are about a billion other considerations when it comes to this topic but we have really put travel on the back burner during these baby rearing years.  It has just seemed like to way too much work, hassle and expense to bother traveling up until this point.  But if it's possible I would really like for Tom and I to get away for a night or two.  Nothing crazy or fancy, just a block of time for us to wander around, eat non-kid friendly food and enjoy some proper day drinking.  We have a couple of weddings coming up in the spring so I think we might be able to make this one work!  We have also toyed around with the idea of taking the children on a family trip this summer.  Maybe I'm just lazy but I'm still not totally convinced I want to take on a road trip with a then 4 year old and two 2 year olds.  Jury's still out on that one....yes, I'm scared.

SOCIAL.  Friendships being affected by new babies is nothing new and try as I might, it is really hard to make time for friends when our lives are all pulled in different directions.  I have struggled, since becoming a mom, to connect to other moms and really only have a handful of girls I consider "mom friends".  I've made some attempts here and there at Meetup playgroups and things of that sort, but nothing has really panned out.  In 2017 I want to continue to focus on connecting with other moms, even if its just through this blog.




Here's to the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment